Skip to main content

Fasting and Food Part III - Don't Skimp on your Training


Today we're going to discuss various types of exercise and where each type fits into Intermittent Fasting. What you're about to read is pretty much my own opinion based on about eight years of experience with Leangains-style IF.

When I first stumbled upon Leangains and began the training, it felt like I wasn't doing enough. Three to four movements each workout, sets of 5-7 reps, a whole lotta rest time...how could this possibly work?

To my surprise, I found that I became freakishly strong and was smaller and lighter than I had ever been in my adult life. I think when I started IF in 2011, I weighed 128 lbs at 5'2" tall. This was not muscle, in case you were wondering, and you can go back to my early blog posts to see the photos here and a year in pictures here. I don't have any current pics, however, because I tumbled off the wagon after life threw a heap of shit at me.

It's 2019 and I'm back on the Berkhan bandwagon again. My left knee is healed from my 2016 ACL surgery, but my strength is way down - especially in squats and deadlifts. I've been inconsistent in the gym and am making a point to hit my three heavy workouts weekly from this point on.

My current weight hovers around 125-130 lbs depending on the day, so I have some middle-age creep to deal with. My lightest ever while on this Leangains journey was 113 lbs, but I didn't hold it for long. That was approximately 8 years ago. I digress. We're discussing types of training today. What follows is a list of various types of training, my definition of each and where they fit in with fasting and restrictive diets:

Bodybuilding - Typically split body part training incorporating 4+ sets of 8-12 reps with the goal of muscle hypertrophy and symmetry. As show time approaches, carbs are usually all but eliminated while water and protein are increased to shed extra fat and water to create a hard look. IF can be used by bodybuilders, but strict attention to macros throughout a training cycle is required. No IIFYM diets here as protein, carbs, and fat percentages are way too important for these folks.

Crossfit - High intensity training across multiple disciplines of fitness, including Olympic lifting, power lifting, endurance activities and gymnastics. Again, IF can be utilized by this community, but careful attention to calories must be paid as under eating will dramatically impact performance.

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) - Any form of exercise that is completed in short bursts with long recovery periods in between. For example, 20-second sprints up a hill with a casual walk back down the hill to recover. HIIT should be kept below 15 minutes and is best suited for after weight training when fat loss is the goal. HIIT fits perfectly with IF when coupled with heavy weight training. Due to the intense nature of both, HIIT and heavy weight training should be limited to three workouts per week to allow for full CNS (central nervous system) recovery.

Kettlebell training - A form of strength and endurance training involving one or two kettlebells. Kettlebells can be used to train the entire body for strength or endurance depending on weights and movements used. Kettlebell training is a great form of HIIT that also taxes the muscles. See above note on IF and HIIT.

Kickboxing, MMA, etc., - See Crossfit.

Olympic Lifting - Cleans, Clean & Jerk, Snatch. Olympic lifting is about power, speed, coordination and mobility. Due to its technical nature, Oly lifting is extremely taxing on the CNS. Anyone incorporating Oly lifting into their programming must be wary to restrict calories too hard or to tack on too much additional high-intensity work. IF can be utilized here but, again, calories and macros will affect performance. Oly lifting is best used for building muscle through powerful, explosive movements. You'd be best served to eat enough to support this demanding activity.

Powerlifting - while not explosive in nature like Oly lifting, Powerlifting can be just as taxing on the CNS. Typically low-rep workouts using 80-95% of max weights or even 1 rep maxes. Powerlifting builds raw strength. Due to the lower volume of these workouts paired with extended rest periods between lifts, powerlifting is suited well for IF even in a calorie-restricted state.

Low Intensity Steady State Cardio (LISS) - Walking, light jogging, biking, swimming, etc. Any low-intensity movement that keeps your heart rate below 60-70% of your HR max. LISS is a tremendously-useful tool in the fat-loss tool box for all of the above categories. Up until now, every type of exercise/fitness mentioned above is very taxing on the CNS. If your CNS is amped up 24/7, you will never fully recover and this will cause a myriad of problems associated with overtraining. Problems sleeping or staying asleep, hunger, muscle loss, heart palpitations, racing heart rate when at rest, etc. LISS, while boring at times, will help reduce inflammation caused by intense exercise, burn fat (especially done in the fasted state), and help your body to recover and repair between bouts of exercise. LISS is GREAT during IF and any diet of restrictive nature.

A Leangains-approved routine:

Just in case you're wondering what a good mix of movements looks like - here's my routine that Martin Berkhan  posted on his Leangains.com blog (scroll down to #10). I have to assume he gives it the thumbs up. It may help some of you who aren't in a fixed routine yet with the order and quantity of movements you use in a single day. I also do a Day 1, Day 4, Day 6 routine now involving HIIT and LISS, but he generally recommends EOD (every other day). *3 minute rest minimum between sets. 5 minutes minimum between movements. It feels like a lot of sitting around but, when you're lifting close to 100% of your max, you will feel it. I promise.

Day 1 (Monday)

5-min walk for warm-up.
Deadlift 2-3 sets of 4-5 reps reverse pyramid style
Rest 5 mins.
Leg extensions - Same setup as deadlifts, but reps a bit higher (6-8)
Rest 5 mins.
Chins - Same as deads

Day 3 (Wednesday)

5-min walk for warm-up.
Bench press 2-3 sets of 5-7 reps reverse pyramid style
Rest 5 mins
Incline Dumbbell Press 2 sets of 5-7 reps reverse pyramid style
Pull-ups 2-3 sets with body weight.
Rest 5 mins
Weighted Dips (if you feel up to it) 2 sets of 5-7 reverse pyramid style

Day 5 (Friday)
Squats 2-3 sets of 5-7 reps reverse pyramid style
Rest 5 mins
Walking lunges 2-3 sets same as squats
Rest 5 mins
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts - 2 sets of 5-7, reverse pyramid style
Rest 5 mins
Overhead Press 2-3 sets of 5-7 reps reverse pyramid style

Timing

When you train doesn't matter. What does matter is consistency of training and timing of meals and macronutrients. If you're an early riser, hit the gym first thing with a BCAA drink to sip while you train fasted. Lunch workouts fit in your schedule? Perfect! Empty that tank before indulging in too many carbs. After work / evening the only time that works for you? That's ok too. Just try to keep about 60% of your carbs for that day until after you train. My best results were from lifting heavy three days a week for less than an hour. Between workouts I would do short bouts of HIIT such as sprints or just a long treadmill walk.

That's it. The moral of the story is that you need to lift all the heavy things. By doing so, you will deplete muscle glycogen, turning your muscles into sponges that will soak up blood sugar from your next meal, not to mention the added benefit of hard, compact, shapely muscles that will make you look and feel amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Optimal Fasting Times for Female Fat Loss - A discussion.

How long should I fast? This is probably the most common question I see among women new to Intermittent Fasting. Unfortunately there is no hard-and-fast definitive answer to this question. We all react to stress differently. Yes, I said stress. Fasting is a stressor to the body - especially the female body. Like money worries, relationship drama, and exercise, fasting will cause the body various levels of stress which can, and often will, result in negative consequences regarding our health. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing most of you have jobs and financial responsibilities, relationships, some of you have children or are care takers of family members. You probably rarely get eight hours of sleep and, let's face it, who has time to meditate daily when living in the real world? All of these things are life's stressors. Now, add lack of sleep, job and family/relationship stress to a boiling pot of intense daily exercise and a lack of food and your bo

I may never eat ice cream again

What looks like ice cream and tastes like ice cream, but has 12g protein, 19g carbs, a paltry 2.5g fat and just 150 calories packed in a 1.5-cup serving? It's not frozen yogurt, it's not fat free ice cream and it's not sugar free ice cream. What you see in the above photo is my newest creation and the clear front runner for my evening dessert choice for the foreseeable future. Meet Strawberry Cottage Delight.  To whip up your own bowl of this delectable must-try, you will need the following: 1/2 cup 2% lowfat cottage cheese ~1cup or 5-6 large frozen strawberries - no syrup, chopped (could prolly sub other chunky frozen fruits) 1/2 - 1 tsp Truvia or your favorite zero-calorie sweetener to taste Add all ingredients to a food processor and puree until it reaches your desired consistency. I personally enjoy some strawberry chunks in mine. I plan on experimenting with canned coconut milk, bananas and nut butters in my next attempts.  In comparison, an identical

Finally - Progress Pics

Recently I've been struggling with my motivation. I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. My workouts stalled (poor diet, lack of discipline and no sleep). Then, today, I hopped on the scale to a solid 116.0 lbs (was literally 117.8 yesterday at the same time). I think the two pints of Guinness I had to celebrate St. Patty's with my girlfriend and the bar appetizers I shouldn't have eaten may have given me the "Whoosh" that Martin Berkhan speaks of. "By the way, a nice bonus after a night of drinking is that it effectively rids you of water retention. You may experience the "whoosh" effect, which I've talked about in my two-part series about water retention. That in itself can be motivating for folks who've been experiencing a plateau in their weight loss." In any event, I'm pleased at my results so far and look forward to seeing how I will look in another two months - just in time for Memorial Day at the Jersey Shore. Here the