Skip to main content

Metabolic Meltdown

It's the journey that counts; not the destination.

Promises, promises. I know, I said I'd be writing more often. I don't know how it happens, but time just soars by sometimes. The last time I wrote, I was telling you about my RT3 problem and how I'm not sure, but I think IF may have been related to the T4-RT3 conversion issue. I still have not found proof of this, so take what I write with a grain of salt as it's all circumstantial. (If anyone reading this has had a similar experience, please let me know!)

Despite HOW it happened, my body has undergone a complete metabolic meltdown over the past 6 months to a year - maybe longer. As of my last post, all I knew was that my body was converting too much of my Synthroid (T4) into reverse T3, resulting in a hypoactive state despite 'normal' T3 levels in my blood. Well, about six weeks ago, my latest labs showed my DHEA was falling, my testosterone level of 17 was on the very low, low, LOW end of where a woman should be and I had nearly zero progesterone in my body. The plot thickens! Additionally, my iron saturation was a paltry 15% showing some kind of absorption issue.

New supplement regimen:

Armour Thyroid
25 mg Cytomel (started at 12mg, but I felt sluggish and started gaining weight again, so I bumped it up a bit more)
10 mg Testosterone (in the form of bio-idential cream 3x's a week)
progesterone cream (twice a day; every day for days 12-26 of my cycle)
Iron supplements
DHEA (very low dose of 5 mg since I am already estrogen dominant)
Pregnenelone

Plus I am taking a cocktail of vitamins, including our alphabet friends B, C, D, and E as well as Milk Thistle, digestive enzymes and selenium. I also take ZMA nightly which gives me wickedly detailed dreams and deep sleep.

I've also sworn off of gluten - finally - and am managing to avoid it quite easily. I guess it was just a matter of making the commitment. I'm not grain free yet as I still eat rice and oats, but I'll cut those later if need be.

It's been about 6 weeks on this new regime and I'm honestly feeling good for the first time in a long, long time. My energy is returning as is my strength. I'm sleeping better and my insomnia is gone. No more waking up at 2 or 3 am and staying awake for hours on end and I'm able to stay awake past the 10 o'clock news (most nights).

My training is back to the basics - RPT style powerlifting three days a week with A LOT of walking. Next month I'm adding back in HIIT to train for a short mud run event I'm participating in this June with some ladies from the gym where I work.

As for diet, I am not fasting on purpose. Some days I miss breakfast, but I'll have a fresh veggie/fruit juice that I make at home to at least give my body some nutrition. I'll also have BCAAs before and after I workout if I have not eaten. I'm eating more protein and veggies and mostly potatoes and rice on training days for my starchy carbs.

As for my labs, we'll see how they look when I go back in about a week. I wanted to give myself about two months on the new supplement program to let my body stabilize a bit before getting tested again. Stay tuned and I'll let you know how things look.

Until then; Remember: true health is a marathon, not a sprint.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Optimal Fasting Times for Female Fat Loss - A discussion.

How long should I fast? This is probably the most common question I see among women new to Intermittent Fasting. Unfortunately there is no hard-and-fast definitive answer to this question. We all react to stress differently. Yes, I said stress. Fasting is a stressor to the body - especially the female body. Like money worries, relationship drama, and exercise, fasting will cause the body various levels of stress which can, and often will, result in negative consequences regarding our health. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing most of you have jobs and financial responsibilities, relationships, some of you have children or are care takers of family members. You probably rarely get eight hours of sleep and, let's face it, who has time to meditate daily when living in the real world? All of these things are life's stressors. Now, add lack of sleep, job and family/relationship stress to a boiling pot of intense daily exercise and a lack of food and your bo

I may never eat ice cream again

What looks like ice cream and tastes like ice cream, but has 12g protein, 19g carbs, a paltry 2.5g fat and just 150 calories packed in a 1.5-cup serving? It's not frozen yogurt, it's not fat free ice cream and it's not sugar free ice cream. What you see in the above photo is my newest creation and the clear front runner for my evening dessert choice for the foreseeable future. Meet Strawberry Cottage Delight.  To whip up your own bowl of this delectable must-try, you will need the following: 1/2 cup 2% lowfat cottage cheese ~1cup or 5-6 large frozen strawberries - no syrup, chopped (could prolly sub other chunky frozen fruits) 1/2 - 1 tsp Truvia or your favorite zero-calorie sweetener to taste Add all ingredients to a food processor and puree until it reaches your desired consistency. I personally enjoy some strawberry chunks in mine. I plan on experimenting with canned coconut milk, bananas and nut butters in my next attempts.  In comparison, an identical

Finally - Progress Pics

Recently I've been struggling with my motivation. I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. My workouts stalled (poor diet, lack of discipline and no sleep). Then, today, I hopped on the scale to a solid 116.0 lbs (was literally 117.8 yesterday at the same time). I think the two pints of Guinness I had to celebrate St. Patty's with my girlfriend and the bar appetizers I shouldn't have eaten may have given me the "Whoosh" that Martin Berkhan speaks of. "By the way, a nice bonus after a night of drinking is that it effectively rids you of water retention. You may experience the "whoosh" effect, which I've talked about in my two-part series about water retention. That in itself can be motivating for folks who've been experiencing a plateau in their weight loss." In any event, I'm pleased at my results so far and look forward to seeing how I will look in another two months - just in time for Memorial Day at the Jersey Shore. Here the