Skip to main content

Is No Place Sacred?


I was at the gym early this morning, powering through a tough set of deadlifts, followed by exhaustive sets of pull ups when I noticed a maintenance-type guy preparing to hang a framed poster on the wall...

Was it motivational? No. Was it inspiring? No. Did it make me hungry as hell? YES.

There I was. Tired. Sweaty. Hungry and 10 hours into a 16-hour fast and what is this guy hanging on the wall next to the pull up/dip station? A cheery picture of Craisins.

Personally, I love Craisins. I like the tangy-sweet taste they add to my salads. But, being as they're just a step above Mike-n-Ike's, I don't usually keep them around (I can't be trusted near Mike-n-Ike's either.)

I notice a man in a black overcoat sort of overseeing the process and I said to him, "Why don't you just hang up a picture of a candy bar while you're at it?"

He sort of laughs and we get into a discussion about marketing decisions (I won't bore you with that here). The crux of it is, advertisers are losing their audiences and they're paying big bucks for the eyeballs of a captive audience.

This is a new low, even for the traditionally seedy health-club industry and I'm very disappointed in Workout World (in Ocean, NJ) for stooping so low as to profit from people's hunger and lack of discipline by hanging food cues disguised as "healthy foods" all over their club. (There was also a picture of Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter by the dumbell rack). What will appear on the walls next, a frosty pint of Chunky Monkey in the aerobics studio? Maybe a Budweiser poster in the spinning room?

My gym, which was once a refuge from temptation for hundreds of hungry exercisers trying to make the right choices is no longer safe. If you workout at WoW, consider yourself warned.


Check it out: can you tell which of these labels is for Craisins and which is for Mike-n-Ike's (no cheating!) *Both serving sizes are approximately the same size.


CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE


Look closely. There is one major differentiating factor that should give this away - Craisins have fiber, Mike-n-Ike's sadly do not.

The crazy thing is that Craisins seem to actually have MORE sugar than their candy cousin! I should tell the guy at the gym to just save time and hang pictures of candy on the walls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I may never eat ice cream again

What looks like ice cream and tastes like ice cream, but has 12g protein, 19g carbs, a paltry 2.5g fat and just 150 calories packed in a 1.5-cup serving? It's not frozen yogurt, it's not fat free ice cream and it's not sugar free ice cream. What you see in the above photo is my newest creation and the clear front runner for my evening dessert choice for the foreseeable future. Meet Strawberry Cottage Delight.  To whip up your own bowl of this delectable must-try, you will need the following: 1/2 cup 2% lowfat cottage cheese ~1cup or 5-6 large frozen strawberries - no syrup, chopped (could prolly sub other chunky frozen fruits) 1/2 - 1 tsp Truvia or your favorite zero-calorie sweetener to taste Add all ingredients to a food processor and puree until it reaches your desired consistency. I personally enjoy some strawberry chunks in mine. I plan on experimenting with canned coconut milk, bananas and nut butters in my next attempts.  In comparison, an identical

Optimal Fasting Times for Female Fat Loss - A discussion.

How long should I fast? This is probably the most common question I see among women new to Intermittent Fasting. Unfortunately there is no hard-and-fast definitive answer to this question. We all react to stress differently. Yes, I said stress. Fasting is a stressor to the body - especially the female body. Like money worries, relationship drama, and exercise, fasting will cause the body various levels of stress which can, and often will, result in negative consequences regarding our health. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing most of you have jobs and financial responsibilities, relationships, some of you have children or are care takers of family members. You probably rarely get eight hours of sleep and, let's face it, who has time to meditate daily when living in the real world? All of these things are life's stressors. Now, add lack of sleep, job and family/relationship stress to a boiling pot of intense daily exercise and a lack of food and your bo

Finally - Progress Pics

Recently I've been struggling with my motivation. I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. My workouts stalled (poor diet, lack of discipline and no sleep). Then, today, I hopped on the scale to a solid 116.0 lbs (was literally 117.8 yesterday at the same time). I think the two pints of Guinness I had to celebrate St. Patty's with my girlfriend and the bar appetizers I shouldn't have eaten may have given me the "Whoosh" that Martin Berkhan speaks of. "By the way, a nice bonus after a night of drinking is that it effectively rids you of water retention. You may experience the "whoosh" effect, which I've talked about in my two-part series about water retention. That in itself can be motivating for folks who've been experiencing a plateau in their weight loss." In any event, I'm pleased at my results so far and look forward to seeing how I will look in another two months - just in time for Memorial Day at the Jersey Shore. Here the